Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 24, 2012

Long Time, No See





Pinterest. The all-powerful, time-wasting, brilliant idea, new phenomenon. This is why I haven't posted in over a year and a half. This site consumes a ridiculous amount of my free (and not so free) time. And so, I would like to do something new, in addition to re-starting the "kind deed" blogs that I started in 2011, in keeping with my new-found Pinterest obsession. I would like to feature one pin each week that I have tried.

Here's the catch, though. There are many blogs and sites dedicated to pins gone wrong. I would like to show that many of the diy pins found on the site can, in fact, be copied to perfection. I have already started a board called "I did this!" filled with recipes and diy projects I have completed to some degree of success. I wanted to take it one step further and demonstrate the process.

Pinned ImageThat said, the first pin I tried was for a coffee sugar scrub (link to source of the pin: Coffee Sugar Scrub). I liked the idea, but tweaked it to be more...scrubby. My recipe makes 6 small jars (bulk, for gifts) and is as follows:

Vanilla Mocha Sugar Scrub
1 cup dry rolled oats
1 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup ground coffee                                            
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup almond oil (found at most drugstores)

Combine dry ingredients in a coffee grinder and grind until coarsely gound (fine enough to go down shower drain, coarse enough to scrub skin). Mix dry scrub with wet ingredients and seperate into 6 small lidded containers.

I dressed mine up with a ribbon and tag and gave them to co-workers for Christmas. You can also add or eliminate ingredients for allergies/preferences. You can find my pin here: Vanilla Mocha Sugar Scrub.

No comments: